ASPRL Acquisition Policies:
Planned acquisitions and prayerful selection are essential when choosing materials for the church library. The librarian is sensitive to every organization in the community and to groups with special needs and interest. Recognized evaluation or selection aids and reliable review sources are utilized when choosing materials.
For printed materials the authenticity, readability according to educational and age level of users, format, scope, special features, potential use, and cost are among primary selection criteria. In addition, appropriateness, physical characteristics, equipment required, maintenance and technical aspects of the item are considered for non-printed materials.
These same selection criteria are applied when accepting gifts. Only materials that fulfill the purposes and objectives of ASPRL will be accepted. A "desiderata" of recommended gifts is available. Duplicates will be allowed if demand for them is high. Unwanted materials and duplicates are sold on the Monthly PACE Book Table or passed on to various other resource centers according to their scope: Our Lady of Perpetual Help our sister parish, University of Dallas, Prison Ministry, Public Library, etc.
As recommended by Vatican Council II, the library attempts to provide not only Catholic materials, but also materials from other denominations which may help in understanding all expressions of faith.
Resource collections are carefully being developed in order to:
- Aid in developing informed and intelligent lay persons in the church
- Serve all who come seeking development of their spiritual capacities and a growing expression of their Catholic faith
- Aid in developing a deeper understanding of one's self and one's role in the community and in the world
- Participate effectively in parish programs by supplying support, materials, equipment, and information as needed
- Provide children and youth of the parish community with library materials most meaningful for their Catholic growth and development, for aiding in personal adjustment, and for developing desirable social attitudes
- Provide materials for religious educators who serve the parish on a regular basis or come as invited guests/speakers for official programs
- Supply materials and information of Catholic and Christian significance which can not be obtained through other local sources
- Provide materials to aid in the wholesome use of leisure time, for enrichment of personal and family lives.